Thursday, February 16, 2012

My New Role - Part 2


In my last post, I started sharing with you the three “big rocks” of my new role at Christ Community’s Leawood Campus.  Big rock number one is I a still the student ministry pastor (although my title does not reflect this, we are trying to communicate it well to those who need to know).  Big rock number two, I lead the staff team of our campus and really need to be the one looking out for this campus.

This role provides a bit of mixed emotion.  On one hand, I think it will be great.  I’ve been given a chance to lead an all star team of pastors and administrative professionals.  I mentioned a few posts back that I feel much like Phil Jackson in that I find myself asking “how do you lead people who are all experts in their fields?”  I’m thinking I just need to know when to call a time-out and when to give a pat on the back.  Yet, on the other hand, there are parts to leading a campus that I know very little about.  For example, I was sitting in a building committee meeting the other day (we are adding an addition to our campus next year) thinking, “is that my job?” and “I’m thinking I need to lead that discussion.”  Those are the moment when I sort of find myself asking “what have I gotten myself into?”  Yet, I also know, as I looked around the table, I see two men who have both had kids come through the middle school group when I was leading it and both men are extraordinary men in their fields and they know what they are doing.  I’ll ride their coat tails.  Okay, this may not be too bad.

This is the part of my role I know will force my dependence on God.  I am thankful for the chance to be forced to grow in this way.  As my senior pastor mentioned, I am not adequate, but the God I serve certainly is.  May I find my dependence and adequacy in Him.

No comments: