Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hard Work...Expectations...


My last post posed a question about how to find a healthy pattern of work in a vocation you love.  Today, I want to ask how you lead and direct others in the pursuit of this pattern.  I lead a team of other youth workers.  Most are a lot younger than I am.  I remember being new in ministry and thinking those older than me worked way to much and expected way to much of me as they seemed to impose their values of work on me.  I remember thinking, “yeah, but never taking a day off is not healthy.  Just because you do it, does not mean I should.”

Now, I don’t think I’m as unhealthy as some, but I know I struggle with working too much (I love what I do).  Does the younger generation look at me as I looked at those before me?  Probably.  Yet, I learned some great things from those who came before me in the area of work ethic and working hard.  Still, what can I learn from those who are coming after me?  Finally, how can I help them learn a strong work ethic without teaching them to have no boundaries?

No comments: